Women Online Worldwide  

Go Back   Women Online Worldwide > Health & Well-Being > Physical Health

Old January 12th, 2001, 04:50 PM   #1
QuietWOW
WOW Host

Let's use this folder to introduce ourselves :-). Where do you live? What is it like for lesbians where you are?
QuietWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 09:52 PM   #2
cookieart
You've got a friend !

Delaware

I'm over 40,live in Delaware and am a people person and very caring.YOu can catch me in the lesbianspace,womensspace,lesbian-oldies,lifestyles0lesbians,lesbianwomen,etc,etc.Come chat with me!
cookieart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM   #3
tt20@telkomsa.n

Hi All

My name is Toni, as in Braxton but I just sing better then her. Don't believe me!!!!

I'm a newcomer on this site, lesbian and would like to meet other lesbians from all over.

My interests are travelling, hockey, squash, volleyball and I love reading.

I am 32 yeard old and have a very outgoing personality, making friends easily.

Lets get connected.

tt20@telkomsa.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM   #4
LindaC

Hi. My name is Linda and I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago. I'm 50 years old and in the process of coming out. I have been married for 30 years and am anxious about how this will play out. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been here and can give any advice/support.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 10:40 AM   #5
Angel_Wolf

Smile Hi

Just an idea
First, I congradulate you on your honesty about who you are. Now here is somethings to ponder. How does your husband feel about the alternative lifestyle and people? Is he open minded? If you were in his shoes and you know how he would feel what would that be? Then once you know these answers go and tell him ready with anything that would be pertinent to make him realize that nothing he says isnt going to change your mind. Then be ready for the impact of the situation. I dont want to frighten you away from telling him but knowing him like you would, then you would know how to tell him better than I would. I do support anyone of their choosing and want to support and help them. I want you to know that I dont want you having any bad feelings about this but the more you know the more empowered you will be once you do tell him. Thus you will empowered your new life as well.
Angel_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM   #6
tt20@telkomsa.n

Hi there Linda

You already did it, you are out. Make sure that you are in a safe space with people who care for you that you can trust. Try coming out to close friends at first. Some would want to convince you that you're not really lesbian, that this is just a phase or even that your confused. Others might turn their back on you. All painful stuff but so necessary because then you can start to live in the full sence of the word.You are out. Just be as honest as posssible when you come out to your marriage partner. Try to find out if there are lesbian groups close to you and contact them. Most importantly believe in yourself, trust and love yourself and no one will have the power to hurt you.

From someone who know, been there done that.

All the strengh.

Toni

Old April 3rd, 2002, 09:32 PM   #7
LindaC

Angel_Wolf - Thanks for your support. I'm not 100% sure how my husband will handle this. I don't think he will talk me out of this. It actually explains some of the trouble we have had over the years. We have been little more than roommates for a long time. He has health issues which makes it even harder. I've been advised to take it slow, however, once I understood my sexuality, I want to experience what I've been missing.

Toni - Thanks for your advice. I hope to go to a group meeting this Sunday. I am excited to be with women who are like me. That is something I have missed since coming out. I don't know any other lesbians.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 11:12 PM   #8
Angel_Wolf

Wink Good Luck!

Linda,
Good Luck! Now you are more than ready for the talk. Its' a shame about your husband's health yet do what must be done but with love and consideration for what he was once to you. You know what is best though and that is all I was hoping to help you recognize or acknowledge. You already knew but sometimes we need help to vocalize it which is a good thing! Toni gave some great advice and that with the knowledge you already have plus talking about it well you are ready but skittish still. Highly understandable. Just take it one day at a time and do meet with others and I am sure along the way, you will figure out what to do and say. May you have the peace and love you have been waiting for.
Angel_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2002, 09:17 PM   #9
MusicLover

Cool Christian Lesbian from Suburbs of Philadelphia

Hello Ladies,

My name is Leslie and I am a 36 year old christian lesbian and would like to connect with other christian lesbians from Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. I attend a gay church and a few other spiritual groups. I am new to this website and I wanted to introduce myself.

Leslie

MusicLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 06:07 AM   #10
tt20@telkomsa.n

Welcome

Hi Leslie

Welcome and have a good stay. I haven't been around for some time now, due to a very busy schedule, but I can assure you that this site is a gift to lesbian women. Unlike a lot of other sites, here you find genuinely caring staff and wonderful new friends. I am not from the Philadelphia and surrounding areas but that should not prevent us from becoming friends. I am a 32 year old lesbian of colour and live in South Africa,love traveling and making new friends all the time because a person never know where tommorrow might bring you. Be good and stay in touch.

Toni
Old July 16th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #11
MusicLover

Re: Welcome

Hello Toni,

Hope this is the correct process to reply and the right place. Thanks for writing me back and it's interesting to connect with women from other countries. What is South Africa like? Have you ever been to the USA? It's fairly liberal here in the Philadelphia area, especially in the gay community.

I'm grateful for coming across this website and meeting women who are genuine like myself and I always am open to making new friends. Seems like a lot of people you meet these days are phony and immoral. I was in a relationship that was on again and off again for 3 1/2 years. Needless to say, it was abusive emotionally and mentally. She was my first long-term relationship and it was a bad experience for me. I know the Lord will send me someone who is christian and genuine who will treat me the way I deserve to be treated with love and respect.

Here in Philadelphia, there is a group for women of color along with other ethnic groups for lesbians of all backgrounds and walks of life. The diversity is great and it's interesting to hear about other cultures. I come from a Catholic background but my folks are liberal, thank goodness for that.

I love traveling, too. I've never been overseas but have been to Montreal, Canada, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. There is a group called Sisterspace that holds a lesbian camp outing for three days in Maryland. It's wonderful and so much fun. It draws about 500 women each year.

Once again, thanks for writing back. Hope to hear from you again soon. God bless!

Leslie

Quote:
Originally posted by tt20@telkomsa.n

Hi Leslie

Welcome and have a good stay. I haven't been around for some time now, due to a very busy schedule, but I can assure you that this site is a gift to lesbian women. Unlike a lot of other sites, here you find genuinely caring staff and wonderful new friends. I am not from the Philadelphia and surrounding areas but that should not prevent us from becoming friends. I am a 32 year old lesbian of colour and live in South Africa,love traveling and making new friends all the time because a person never know where tommorrow might bring you. Be good and stay in touch.

Toni
MusicLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #12
tt20@telkomsa.n

Greetings

Hi Lesley

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm sure that you'll meet a lot more sincere and caring lesbians like myself on this site. I have not been to the States myself but met a lot of Americans both in South Africa and Israel during my 3 year stay there. South Africa is just so great. Yes, we do have a lot of crime and yes, HIV/AIDS is very rife here but so has every country its ups and downs. We are lucky to have a very progressive constitution after the apartheid era. That is great in a way that it does not allow discrimination on any basis at all... black, woman, lesbian, whatever in the eyes of the law we are all equal. A friend returned from a month-long trip in the states where she addressed womens groups on gender and related issues. She brought me a gay poster from San Fransisco which I really love. I hope to be attending the gay Mardegra there next year... a must for me. Well let me not run away cause theres still lots of time for us to talk. And always remember, theres a lot of abusive and bad people out there, not only lesbians. It is your choice whether you want to put up with them. You don't have to.

Take good care of yourself and don't allow yourself to be hurt, by no-one. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Toni

Ps. If you want you can write directly to me at:
Email: joanie@telkomsa.net
Old July 17th, 2002, 06:50 AM   #13
TaintedEyes

Good morning ladies. I have been apart of WOW for quite some time now, and just about a year ago, started hosting for them as well. I too am a lesbian, and thought that I would introduce myself. WOW is full of a bunch of wonderful women and some great men as well, as a few frequent the room. I am in NJ close to philadelphia, pa. Great to see some women around in here and getting to know each other. Hope to see you all continue to come in here, and hope to see you all in the room eventually as well.

Tainted
Old August 6th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #14
curiousnlooking

Question I am finally out and looking but having no luck.

I have alot of questins that I wish I could answers too.I have just came out to all of my gay friends and my husband that I am bi-sexual. My husband is very supportive and so are all of my friends but my question is how do you know if someone that you think you like is bi also? I mean we have been to the purplr parrott and I saw alot of women that I would like to get to know but the problem was that you didn't know who was with who.Anyone who can help me with this it would be great help. I am all new to this and need all of the help in finding another bi-sexual female as possible.Thanks and I love feeling like their are others like I.
Old August 20th, 2002, 03:12 AM   #15
Muse

Hi All,

I am a 22 year old lesbian from India, studying towards my doctorate in Economics. I'd like to define myself as a feminist with strong gender concerns in my work and personal life. Sexual orientation, according to me is not just a way of expressing physical passion but also the way I look at myself and feel about myself. What saddens me that when one deviates from what is considered 'normal' behaviour, one is immediately tagged as 'abnormal'...so if lesbianism is not practised normally, it is abnormal according to the society. It squarely amounts to being an immoral person with an ugly appetite! It is indeed saddening...that sexual orientation is not seen as anything more than fulfilling one's need for sex. There is a general denial in accepting that just like any other 'normal' relationship has its emotional and spiritual dimensions apart from a sexual one, anyone practising any 'deviant' sexual behaviour too can have these dimensions in his/her relationships, sometimes, even stronger than the sexual one. My question is...can one be a lesbian and still not have a sexual relationship with another woman? Are two women who are very close and have a platonic relationship and are emotionally attracted to each other still lesbians? My answers to both these questions is a resounding YES. Lesbianism for me, is not just about sex...its much more...its about a comfortable companionship, reliable friendship and emotional bonding as well. Anyone who shares these opinions and is willing to connect to me as a friend is welcome to write back to me.

Muse